Monday, October 7, 2013

You Know You're In Texas When......... (week 19)

So this past weekend and today mark a lot of things. Today is my 6 month mark which means I only have 1 year left!! And exactly a year ago I made the decision to serve a mission! And here I am, serving in the Texas Houston South Mission, speaking spanish!! A year ago I had no idea what I was going to do with my life and then I didnt have any idea of where I was going to go! All I knew was I was going to serve a mission and I was going to dedicate a year and a half to serving the Lord. And it was hands down the greatest decision I have ever made in my entire life. I have never been happier or closer to my Father in Heaven as I have been on my mission. And there is just a special feeling knowing that I am a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and I get to share my testimony and the knowledge of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ here on the earth today. Its such a blessing to be here. And I love it so much. I love my mission, I love Texas, I love my companion, I love the Lord, I love my Savior, and I love my life!! :)
Now for the good stuff of this past week! So I dont have much time to write a lot but I will give yall the highlights!
1. It indeed DOES get cold in Texas. WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT?! I have to be honest, other missionaries were telling me that it would get cold in the winter and I flat out did not believe them. I was like uhhhh yeah right! this is texas! its humid and its hot. but nope! the nice cool fall weather has hit texas. granted its like 73 degrees outside but there is a cool breeze and that is nice for texas! I love it!!! yesterday it was cloudy and cold and i felt like i was in utah! perfect conference weather! :) I even wore tights! weird. 
2. Conference was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There really is something about watching conference as a missionary. Its so special and meant a lot more to me than it has in the past. And I even stayed awake for the entire thing. ;) I learned so much and I reallly prepared myself this time and went into it with questions and they were answered. My testimony of a living prophet here on the earth today was strengthened as well as my testimony of personal revelation. The Prophets, Apostles, and other leaders of the church are truly called of God to receive revelation for all the world and counsel us on what we need to be doing. We dont know what is going to be happening in the world or in our lives, but our Heavenly Father does. And the words of the Prophets are the words of God. So we must take heed to their counsel and do as they tell us in conference :) I just love conference so much and i am so sad its over!! Oh and Maria came!! She loved it and said it was very beautiful :) yay!! shes the best!!!!
3. You know you're in texas when..... youre waiting at a stop light on your bike and a truck drives by with 2 cowboys in it with huge cowboy hats and a HUGE white plastic horse in the bed of the truck. I LOVE TEXAS. the people here are crazy but i love it so much!!!! I dont want to be serving anywhere else! This is where I am meant to be :)
4. We went on exchanges this week and on the exchange we went to visit a less active in our area, Carmen Godinez. We havent visited her for 6 weeks because our bishop told us not to. But we talked to him and he said it would be okay if we went over there, but to be careful. So we went and she let us in!!! Its going to be a long process to get her back to church but we are going to do everything we can to help her come back!!!
5. Update on the Investigators!! Janie is doing great!! She has made progress on her divorce. It's really the most complicated situation in the entire world but we are doing everything we can to help her prepare for baptism! She knows this church is true but there are a lot of changes that have to happen in order for her to be baptized! So please pray for her! She needs all your prayers! Antonio is just awesome. He doesnt live in our ward boundaries but we are teaching him at a members home! He is so prepared. He is sincerely searching for truth and just wants to know! We taught him the plan of salvation this week which was perfect because he and gabby had talked about it already and both of his parents have passed away. I think teaching him about the plan really helped him to understand a lot more things and made some things make sense! He is so great and is really progressing! And we were sad to pass him off to the missionaries that teach in his area but president ashton said we could keep teaching him! I am sooooo happy about that! He is truly our brother and I care about him so much and i know that this gospel will bless his life in sooo many ways!! And the Lord has been preparing him for years and now is his time. I feel honored to be teaching him about this gospel. Its so happy and wonderful!
6. The Houston 2 Hermanas, Hermana Hogan and Cardoza are still living with us. Its soooo fun and kinda crazy.. and messy... but its fun. :) We kinda get a taste of what the Zone leaders apartment is like because they have 5 elders all in one apartment. I think thats worse! haha!
Well, that is all I have time for. But more to come next week! We are gonna go crazy this week and just go finding like no other! we are going to talk to every single person we see. Even if it ends up being real awkward. But thats the life of a missionary. And I LOVE IT!!!! I am so grateful to be serving. Thank you all for your love and support!! Dont be afraid to write letters :) they are GOLD on a mission! Okay I love you all and I hope you all have a splendid week! 
Con amor, 
Hermana Dorian! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment